Certificate in Business Applications
- Course Requirements
- Certificate Requirements
- How To Enroll
Business Applications Certificate
As software applications continue to become more integrated and compatible, you must be proficient in a variety of these applications to be successful in today's office environment. You may need to use a database file to check inventory, create a spreadsheet to organize and analyze financial data, design slides for a meeting, or communicate your progress to your work group.
Through this Chancellor's Certificate program, you will develop these computer skills and learn to use spreadsheet, database management, and office productivity software.
You'll learn to:
- Design databases that efficiently store, analyze, and retrieve information. Learn the proven techniques to increase the usefulness of your database in looking for summary information and generating reports.
- Create spreadsheets to input and organize data. Learn how to automate your work, prevent errors, and make data entry easier. Discover the design and analysis features that will increase your efficiency.
- Work with software that covers a range of productivity functions. Manage complex projects, create diagrams and slides for presentations, pursue advanced word-processing skills, or convert files into Web-ready documents.
If you want to sign up for the certificate online, enter CT802-X9002 for the Business Applications Certificate code.
Certificate Class Requirements
You can earn this certificate in one of these two ways:
- Complete a minimum of 78 hours in the classes specified below - 26 hours from Database, 19.5 hours from Spreadsheet, 19.5 hours from Office Productivity, and 13 hours from Electives.
- Complete the Chancellor's Certificate in Excel and then take an additional 58.5 hours - 26 hours from Database, 19.5 hours from Office Productivity, and 13 hours from Electives.
Database (minimum 26 hours required)
- Introduction to Access
- Intermediate Applications of Access
- Advanced Applications of Access
- Advanced Topics in Access: Database Design
Spreadsheet (minimum 19.5 hours required)
- Introduction to Excel
- Intermediate Applications of Excel
- Advanced Applications of Excel
- Creating Charts with Excel
- Excel Data Manipulation
- Excel Formulas and Functions
Office Productivity (minimum 19.5 hours required)
- Introduction to PowerPoint
- Intermediate Applications of PowerPoint
- Advanced Applications of PowerPoint
Electives (minimum 13 hours required)
Complete 13 hours from any classes listed above that have not already been applied to another category.
You should be proficient with the Windows environment and be able to find files, create folders, organize and manage files and folders, work with multiple windows, and share data between applications via the Clipboard.
Certificate Class Requirements
All classes must be completed through the University of Missouri-St. Louis Computer Education & Training Center within 24 months of submitting the application. If you have completed one or more of these classes through the Computer Education & Training Center in the 24 months prior to completing your application, they may be applied to this certificate. Granting approval for these classes depends on verification of satisfactory completion of each class.
You are required to complete any course prerequisites listed for certificate classes. These classes will not count toward the hours required to complete the certificate. Be sure to check the course descriptions for specific prerequisites.
Please note that a class can only be applied to one specialized certificate.
How to Enroll
Complete the application form and return it with your $25 nonrefundable fee to the address indicated. This fee covers processing, recordkeeping, and certificate costs. After the application form and fee are processed, we will send you a confirmation letter and Notification of Completion form. Use this form to keep track of classes you're taking toward your certificate. When you complete your last class, return the Notification form. We will verify successful completion of all requirements and send you the Chancellor's Certificate in Business Applications.
If you want to sign up online, the Certificate Registration Code is CT802-X9002 for the Business Applications Certificate.
You can earn the Chancellor's Certificate in Excel by taking just 26 hours more after you have earned the Chancellor's Certificate in Business Applications. See the Excel certificate information for course offerings.
Note: You will receive CEUs for successful completion of each certificate class. The hours you complete in these classes will also be applied toward the 96-hour Chancellor's Certificate on the Computer.